Sunday, April 1, 2007

Why celebrate?

Celebrating diversity may seem like an unusual concept but that is a big part of what both my life and my consulting firm (Julie Nemecek Consulting) are all about. I am firmly convinced that the meaningful celebration of diversity in humankind (1) makes for a richer life, (2) is very good business sense, and (3) is God-honoring. That last reason probably requires the most unpacking for you to understand where I am coming from.

I believe that God created me and other people that are “different” (aren't we all?) for His purposes and His glory. Just like part of the enjoyment of roses is that they come in many hues, fragrances, and sizes, so too God has given us a richness in humankind that is to be treasured.

Celebrating diversity doesn’t mean that we have to agree with everyone else (anymore than we have to like every kind of rose), but it does mean that we will treat all people with dignity and respect. It also means learning to celebrate what we can learn from each other because we are different.

In the work world (profit and non-profit), accepting differences makes for better decision-making, a more expansive world view, and a healthier and more appealing work environment. Celebrating diversity simply makes good sense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know God will use you to accomplish great things for His kingdom! You go, Girl!!! 8-)

Lee Anne Ward

Anonymous said...

lee anne, I second that nomination!