Monday, June 2, 2008

A Special Sunday

For the first time in a few years I preached yesterday. I was the guest preacher at an area church. I read the little book The Rainbow Zebra for the children’s story. Seven kids nestled up close so they could see the colorful pictures while I read to them as the adults listened and smiled. My sermon was from Galatians 3:28 on tearing down the walls that divide. This church was celebrating diversity Sunday with songs, hymns, and readings honoring the worth and dignity of all people. There was about a half hour for questions after the service. Most of the questions were about transgender issues (many of the people have been following my story in the local newspaper), but some questions were also about the sermon. Some shared their own stories. One genetic woman talked about being harassed in a bathroom because she looked too masculine. Another couple talked about being uninvited to a family wedding because of their sexual orientation. Another talked about a co-worker who transitioned from female to male and the loving and caring response of her co-workers.

After the service a number of people (including the pastor) said that my message was precisely what the church needed (another “God thing”). Others said I should be preaching more often or serving a church somewhere. It felt good to get this affirmation of the gifts God has given me. We spent some time in conversation (and some more questions) with those who stayed for the “Rainbow Brunch”. As Joanne and I drove home, I couldn’t help but feel that God was pleased with this church on this Sunday.

1 comment:

genevieve said...

Perhaps preaching and evangelism is in the future, Julie.

Genevieve